Friday, September 30, 2011

Authenticity


The sign up list is on that traditional Japanese drum

Restaurant Name: Kenka
Location: 25 St. Marks Pl., New York, NY, 10003
Website: N/A
Price Range: $25
JCL Rating: 7.5/10
JCL's Choice: Okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake); Takoyaki

I walked by this place a few times in the past, but never had the time to try it out. There were always people sitting around the entrance. I assumed it was the line to get in. When I did had the time to give this place a try, I asked one of the people there how to get in. He pointed me to the list on the drum. You basically have to put your name and how many people in your party on the list. The host will come out whenever there is available tables and call your name. Before you are seated, the host will ask if you will be drinking alcoholic beverages or not. If yes, have your ID card ready. 

This place is very loud but very welcoming at the same time. The interior design is old time Japanese set up. Except for the chairs. For some reason the chairs are very small. This guy that was sitting behind me must have been at least 6 feet tall, he was having trouble fitting in. The menu was very interesting. It reminded me of a manga... it looked very chaotic and intimidating but it was actually groped accordingly. Also the staffs here are actually Japanese! All the other "Japanese" restaurants that I been to were Chinese. If you are carrying any bags they will provide you with a basket so you can place it on the floor. There is also a room for smokers. It's a room with an open roof. 

Okay, enough with the decor. This was what we ordered: Okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake), takoyaki (grilled ball of dough with octopus inside), Niku udon (udon with beef), ika geso kushiyaki (skewer squid), shiojaki teishoku (grilled salted salmon), buta kimchee (pan fried pork w/ kimchi). 


The Japanese pancake was amazing. My favorite dish out of everything we ordered. The pancake was very fluffy. Topped with grilled pork, vegetables and squid crisps on top with drizzles of takoyaki sauce. The crisps gives the dish a wavy sensation. Everything on the pancake was the perfect combo. Their flavor profiles match each other flawlessly. This is a must get if you are going to Kenka!


Takoyaki was my second favorite. It is basically a grilled dough with a piece of octopus inside. Topped with squid crisps and drizzles of takoyaki sauce. That one piece of octopus inside gives this whole dish a complete different texture. A slight crunchiness with the firm yet soft dough. 


The beef udon was great. The beef was tender and seasoned to perfection. The udon was very firm (al dente). The soup was good as well, that is because it was full of MSG (monosodium glutamate). This triggers the umami taste buds (savoriness). 


The grilled salted salmon was nothing special. Crunchy skin, firm meat (due to the marination in salt). Personally, I wouldn't pay 7$ for this small piece. The skewer squid was served with teriyaki sauce. It was grilled to perfection. The squid was just right, but it lacked seasoning though. 




The pan fried pork with kimchi was decent. The pork belly was sliced thinly. It was pan fried with beansprout, and kimchi. The aroma was amazing. The pork was very tender. The kimchee was a bit sour and spicy. But if you eat the beansprouts, pork, and kimchi in one bite, that would be the perfect combo. A big gulp of cold water after a bite of that was so refreshing.


A very interesting thing was that they give you cotton candy powder before you leave. You can drop that powder in the cotton candy machine outside and enjoy some fresh cotton candy. That was cool. But let me warn you, it is very sloppy (drop the powder in the center, grab a stick and wait for the sides to start farming cotton candy). I would definitely come back to this restaurant. It has authentic Japanese food and culture here. Next time you go by St. Marks, give this place a shot. The chances are that you will probably like it too. 

4 comments:

  1. I've tried the Japanese pancake before and it was shaped like a heart. I love the sauce that's drenched on top, it's lightly sweetened and the mayonnaise was yum as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh really?? I didnt really notice the shape. I just thought its round. And yea, its the japsnese key pei mayo i believe. Thanks forr thr support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NIHON!!!!!!!!!! when I get back on my feet i'm coming here. There's another place that I came to before around saint marks place. I don't remember the name though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review! Next time I pass by st. marks I'll definitely stop here for a bite of the Japanese pancake. The way you and Jessica described it has got me drooling at 4AM.

    ReplyDelete